miércoles, 20 de enero de 2010

A Streetcar Named Desire: Reading Journal. Blogpost 1 - Before Reading.

September 23, 2009 at 3:16pm

I've read the review and watched the videos and I'm glad I did so before I started reading, because now my interest has been aroused. I had no clue what "A Streetcar Named Desire" was about and I still don't understand which is the relationship between the title of the play and the play itself, so I hope I can get a clearer idea as I read at least the first...scenes? I would have said chapters but I'm not sure whether plays are made up of chapters. As you can see, I'm not aquainted with reading plays - I've only read Hamlet in Spanish - so I'm looking forward to see what all this is about.
As regards the characters mentioned, they are Blanche and three other men: "the youth who brought remembrence of yesterday"; "the man who was willing to take her out of the dark allies of New Orleans" and Stanley, "the brute who lied and cheated, who promised everything and gave nothing." When it comes to setting, the play seems to take place in the US, New Orleans perhaps, but I'm not sure about the date.
I think this piece of writing will be quite dramatic - but dramatic from the emotional point of view, of course - I have the feeling it might be as dramatic as the Great Gatsby.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario