miércoles, 20 de enero de 2010

Post-colonial Literature

June 19, 2009 at 4:00am


These are extracts from "The Big Box" a children's book written by Toni Morrison, one of the most outstanding figures in African-American literature.
I've been looking for the whole text in English but I couldn't find it yet. Anyway, through these extracts we can spot the theme of the story. It's about three children who are supposed to be unable to handle their freedom for they don't follow the rules their parents and teachers have set. Therefore, Patty, Mickey and Liza Suer are locked in a box full of games, toys, food and other cool things. But this box is three times locked and its doors open in only one way...




Patty and Mickey and Liza Sue
Live in a big brown box.
It has carpets and curtains and beanbag chairs.
And the door has three big locks.

Oh, it's pretty inside and the windows are wide
With shutters to keep out the day.
They have swings and slides and custom-made beds
And the doors open only one way.

Their parents visit on Wednesday nights
And you should see the stuff they get.
Pizza and Legos and Bubble Yum
And a four color TV set.

(...)

Now, Patty used to live with a two-way door
In a little white house quite near us.
But she had too much fun in school all day
And made the grown-ups nervous.
She talked in the library and sang in class,
Went four times to the toilet.
She ran through the halls and wouldn't play with dolls,
And when we pledged to the flag, she'd spoil it.

So the teachers who loved her had a meeting one day
To try to find a cure.
They thought and talked and thought some more
Till finally they were sure.
"Oh, Patty," they said, "you're an awfully sweet girl,
With a lot of potential inside you.
But you have to know how far to go
So the grown-up world can abide you.
Now, the rules are listed on the walls,
So there's no need to repeat them.
We all agree, your parents and we,
That you just can't handle your freedom."

Patty sat still and, to avoid their eyes,
She lowered her little-girl head.
But she heard their words and she felt their eyes,
And this is what she said:
"I fold my socks and I eat my beets
And on Saturday morning I change my sheets.
I lace my shoes and wash my neck.
And under my nails there's not a speck.

Even sparrows scream
And rabbits hop
And beavers chew trees when they need 'em.
I don't mean to be rude; I want to be nice,
But I'd like to hang on to my freedom.
I know you are smart and I know that you think
You are doing what is best for me.
But if freedom is handled just your way,
Then it's not my freedom or free."

So they gave little Patty an understanding smile,
And put her in a big brown box.
It has carpets and curtains and bean bag chairs,
But the door has three big locks.

(...)

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario