martes, 21 de septiembre de 2010

HWE N° 8 | Lang. through Lit.

TASK: Describe the old man's bedroom from the "Tell-Tale Heart" by Edgar Alan Poe.

"It took me an hour to place my whole head within the opening so far that I could see him as he lay upon his bed. Ha! Would a madman have been so wise as this? And then when my head was well in the room I undid the lantern cautiously - oh, so cautiously."

From the position in which I laid I had studied the room, carefully scrutinized every single detail and ornament. If I lubricated the door's hinges, next time thy would not make a noise, I was not to be given away. The planks from the rich oak flooring were old and squeaky so I had to be most cautious in my moves. The bed, huge and cossy, laid outstandingly in the middle of the room, it was the only place in the whole house that could hold any warmth. The sheets were made of Eyptian cotton and the covers were full of white feathers, I could see some of them sneaking through little holes in the cloth when I made the bed. The springs in the mattress would clink if the old man moved; and I'd know then that I had to be more careful than ever. The walls were papered in dark, musky green. The shutters from the tall windows were closely fastened through fear of robbers; heavy crimson curtains hung from the top of the brownish ceiling. The light of my lantern could not be seen by the neighbours outside. To my delight, there was nothing to worry about. If I was careful enough, I would manage not to disturb the room's serene atmosphere, and thus, I would triumph.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario